Friday, March 11, 2016

Potato Candy! Bonbon's

Hey guys, here is a post that I meant to do a lot sooner but I got wrapped up in schoolwork...I must apologize beforehand though, I have lost all but one of the pictures documenting how I made them, but don't worry! The process is so simple, I was able to make them :)
I have been wanting to make candy for a while, and found this one rather appealing because of its simplicity; it only requires a potato and a bag of powdered sugar. Super simple and easy, are you ready to make potato candy? Let's go!

What you need:

1 small potato  (yes, small, this makes a lot of candy!) russet is best for this
2 lbs powdered sugar (you will need most if not all of this) + more for dusting
1 package of enjoy life chocolate chips

What you want to do first is peel and boil your 
potato, let it cool completely, after all, you will be kneading this...

Once the potato has cooled, go ahead and mash it like you would mashed potatoes,
accept, without salt, butter and milk; just mash 'em  dry!

After you have a nice consistency (think fluffy without any chunks of potato), dump in a cup of powdered sugar, and mix thoroughly. At first, your potato candy is going to look more like a milk and powdered sugar glaze, but don't give up! keep adding sugar until your mixture develops into a somewhat firm ball. When you get to this stage, you are going to want to knead your potato ball for a minute or so, until it is smooth. 

Now, divide your potato ball into four sections (I kept the balls that were not in use under an overturned bowl so it would stay moist). 
You can make your bonbon's as big or as small as you like, what I did was divide the 
quarter section again into fourths, and made "snakes" if you cut the snake up into even pieces you will be able to easily roll out your bonbon balls!

While you are rolling your balls, start melting the chocolate (note: you will want to dip the bonbon's quickly so that they won't dissolve into your chocolate!) 

Dip each ball into the melted chocolate, and roll it around quickly to coat.
Set onto a piece of parchment or wax paper. 

I put mine into the refrigerator, but the chocolate 
will harden as it cools so long as it is not terribly hot in your kitchen :)
 I hope you guys enjoy this recipe, I will e making it again, and I will post a detailed step-by-step
 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment