Saturday, May 9, 2015

The truth behind "Gluten Free"

    Hola Comrades! I just want to chat for a minute with you about "gluten free" foods, and while it may take longer than a minute for you to read this post, I hope you will keep reading because this is important.
     I have over the years gained experience with shopping allergy safe; it is easier and harder than you may think. If you are like me, there are a lot of foods you must avoid. Sometimes one may feel that there is nothing to eat in the state of Denmark (ok, that was a little cheesy), but if you keep reading, and follow these tips you will find there is more out there than you think. Oh, you may find this helpful as well.
    Not all gluten free foods are equal. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I have been disappointed to pick up a box claiming "gluten free!" on the front only to find that it "May contain: Milk, Soy, Peanuts, etc..." when I look at the back. Some containers do not eve list some foods as allergens (!) trust me, I have used a cleaner that touted itself as "hypoallergenic" and one of the first 5 ingredients was soybean oil...
    One thing you must learn to do when dealing with allergies is READ LABELS. It could very well save somebodies life. You also need to know all of the alternative words for your allergy (did you know that another name for egg is albumen? It is also spelled albumin),  you can find places online with alternative words, this one is particularly good, in fact the whole website is very useful.
    I have also found some labels that say "gluten free" on the front, but in the ingredients list there is "modified food starch". If you ever run into these labels, my advise is to stay away from them! Modified food starch is another way of saying Wheat, and even if it may be a different kind of starch, like  corn for instance, it is best to just stay away because it could possibly be "contaminated". What does contaminated mean? For the allergic person it means that it may contain traces of the allergen (and for some of us, that could be life threatening).
   Thank you everyone for reading this post, I hope it helps!
Stay safe,
Mackie

No comments:

Post a Comment