Sunday, August 16, 2015

Cooking For a Family

Feeding a family can be challenging, feeding a family and dealing with food allergies is very challenging. Of course we all have to deal with the occasional picky eater, but when eating becomes life-threatening...we need a new set of tricks up our sleeves. If you have a family of your own, you can pretty much dictate what everybody eats since, I am assuming, you are the main cook. You can, if you so desire, have everyone in your household eat the same allergy-safe menu as your allergic child (or as you, if you are the allergic one), and you should have no trouble about it. You should, if you do, don't come after me; go after them.
    For me though, and people like me, cooking is not a simple process. It can be a challenge to plan six meals a day; two breakfasts, two lunches, and two dinners, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. That can grate on the nerves. I have been doing it for ten years, and I have been able to somehow cook for myself and my family to some successful degree (my mother has taken over the cooking again, so that makes it a lot easier for me to cook my meals).
  First of all, what I made sure of is that I prepared meals that where allergy friendly. For example, I usually prepared beans, which are rather allergy safe, just add meat, and you have a nutritious meal.
Although this worked, I have family members who would complain that it lacked flavor (cheese, bread, and whatnot), so what I learned to do is employ help.
 I am blessed to have many siblings who love to cook, and who are more than willing to help in the kitchen; so while I made something allergy safe (like a meat sauce), I would recruit as brother or sister to shred cheese and boil noodles; all it takes is careful planning, and willing helpers. Hopefully this post was helpful to you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment