Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Three Ingredient Salmon Cakes (UPDATED)

From the time I was a child, I have loved and yet hated salmon cakes. Momma made them at least once a week, and I enjoyed watching her make them. So why did I hate them? Bones. Momma always left the spine bones in the fish, yuck! I hated to feel the bones in my mouth, and the soft crunch as I would chew a bone in my fish cake. Often, I would pick over my fish cake pulling out as many of the bones as I could find, and give them to my younger brother and sister. I am older now, and I cook for myself mostly, so I have had the pleasure of being able to debone my fish. Lately though, my mother has told me something which I think is the reason why she always left the bones in despite my protesting: They are a good source of calcium. So today, for the first time in years (don't ask how old I am), I left the bones in. But I have had another dilemma when it comes to making fish cakes (I know, everybody else call's them "salmon cakes", but this is what I have been calling them since I was a youth, and everybody in my household call's them the same), the issue of them holding their shape when cooking and not falling apart. I have hit upon a solution that fixes both the bone issue and the stability of my cakes: the food processor. The food processor breaks everything up, so I don't taste the bones, and it mixes everything to perfection! On to the recipe!

Slam on the brakes! Please read BEFORE you proceed (A very good friend of mine has let me know that this recipe did not work for them, I looked to see what step I missed, and behold! It was the most important step: you must drain the fish. So, Thank you Dr. Allan!)  O.K. you can continue :)

What you need:

1 13 3/4 oz can of wild caught salmon (drained)
1/2 a red (or any other kind) onion
ground oats about 1/4 cup

I did not take pictures of each step like I usually do, but it is pretty straight forward.  You can grind your oats (I forgot to mention: make sure you use gluten free oats! The brand I am using is Bob's Red Mill) in a clean coffee grinder.
Making sure you have the "S" attachment in your processor, pulse your onion, and dump in your drained can of fish (save the juices as they can be used for cooking), pulse until combined.
As you pulse your fish mixture, dump your oats in one spoonful at a time. Your mixture should have a fine consistency, and be a bit wet and sticky.
The next step is not entirely necessary, but it may help in forming your patties, wet your hands and make your patties.
Although I did not mention it, you should have a skillet or a pan heating up with a good amount of oil in it.
Carefully place your cakes onto the hot pan/skillet and fry until golden on one side, flip and fry on the other side. Your time will vary, so keep an eye on them!
The end result is about 6-7 beautifully golden Salmon cakes.
Enjoy! I know I sure did.

No comments:

Post a Comment