Sunday, August 23, 2015

Tomato-free Bolognese Sauce (an update to the first one)

For those of you who have been following my blog for a while, you know that one of the first recipes that I posted was a "Nomato Sauce". For a beginner like I was back then, it was an OK start, but I have been tweaking the recipe here and there, and I think that I have a sauce worth posting now! In the first sauce, I told you to use more beets than carrots, that was wrong, and I am sure that you guys have been turning out some rather funny colored sauce. I also added roasted peppers and oil into the sauce, that too is a no no (for me that is, nightshades bother my stomach, you can add them if you want to), the oil will turn your sauce pink. I could go on and on about what I did wrong in the first recipe, but that will not help you much, so let's get this party started! Oh, shout out to my little sis, she was the one who found that using more carrot than beets was the key to good color. Thanks Olivia!

What you need:

1 Onion (finely chopped)
1 Celery stalk (finely chopped)
1 Courgette (cubed)
1 15 oz can of beets
2 15 oz. cans of carrots
1/8 cup rice vinegar (or any other gluten free vinegar you can use)
1 tsp sugar
Olive oil
1 lb Ground meat (I use all natural grass fed beef)
salt and pepper

What you need to do:

1. The first thing you will need to is chop your vegetables, you could use the food processor to do this, but frankly, I don't like to clean more dishes than I need to, and I am pretty good at chopping anyhow.
2. Open your can of beets and RINSE and drain them. Don't and  I mean don't, like DO NOT boil them. The beets are already cooked, so you need not boil them; all they need is a good rinsing. Just rinse them until they water runs almost clear.
3. Blend up the carrots and the beets in a blender, a food processor will not do as good a job as a blender (I use a Nutribullet), although puree is more like what I do.
4. Now is a great time to cook your meat and saute your veggies, I generally do this at the same time. Make sure your meat is well done, fry it until all of the moisture is cooked out, and it is sizzling away nicely.
5. Season your meat with your spices, use as much as you desire.
6. Now is the time to pour in your carrot and beet puree, and add the vinegar.
7. Now you have a red sauce worthy of a plate (or bowl) of noodles!
I tried this recipe with meatballs, and I feel that I received better results with my sauce. For this variation I fried the meatballs only partially (I just seared them), and I poured the sauce over them and let them finish cooking that way.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment