Saturday, March 28, 2015

Medley Soup

I know, it's Spring, and I did not post anything for St. Patrick's Day (gimme a break! I'm a college student!), but it's cold over where I live today so I feel like a soup. Here's how I made it.

You're gonna want to start with a good base, for me that's my traditional version of this sauce, to make it traditional I skip all of the extra veggies, and just add them to the soup later.

So, go ahead and grab yourself a can of beets and boil 'em! While you are doing that...
 Chop up your veggies...
 I used onion and squash (squash makes it look like there is corn in the soup)
Cook your onions and  until golden or soft, which ever you prefer.
 next cut up some Italian sausage (you can use whatever meat you like, this is what I had on hand).


Toss the squash, and sausage in with the onion and cook until sausage is browned, and squash is cooked. I love the smell of cooking onions!


 add extra vegetables of your choice (I chose broccoli, which I love).
 You should have your red sauce ready by now, so go ahead and dump it into the mix!
 Personally, I like to stir in olive oil or coconut oil after I have the soup finished, it just adds a bit of character to the soup, and besides, that's what Momma did to her soups when I was a kid. Except she used butter... 

 you can let your soup simmer for a while or serve it up immediately! Either way, it's good. Enjoy!
 This is where I generally post a picture of a dish with the finished product, but what can I say? I was starving!


No comments:

Post a Comment