Friday, March 6, 2015

Tomato Free Red Sauce

Happy Thursday everyone! I am going to share my go-to red sauce recipe for spaghetti.

I love spaghetti, as you know I am tomato-free, but it was my little sister who inspired the need to find a tomato-free red sauce; she has had tomato allergy since she was a kid, me? I just started last year.  We have tried many different things, no sauce, pepper sauce (made with roasted bell peppers of course), and white sauce. Nothing quite satisfied my noodles like a red sauce did... and white sauce is for stroganoff...which my sister hates. I must have red sauce for my noodles! So I searched the web, and saw that there was in fact a tomato-free sauce, and it was made with beets of all things. I like beets, so I decided to give it a try. After many trial-and-error recipes, I have finally found one I like.
Try it sometime and see if you do too!

Here is what you need:

 1 Onion (I generally use the whole thing, you can use less if you want)
1 Yellow squash
1 Zucchini
1/2 Yellow bell pepper
1/2 Orange bell pepper
1 14.5 oz can of beets
1 14.5 oz can of carrots
Olive oil
Rice vinegar (or whatever vinegar you can have, this one is gluten free, and corn-free)

 First you will want to dice up your veggies.

You will want to start sauteing the peppers before you add the rest of your vegetables to the pot. Once the peppers are soft, toss in the rest of the veggies!

Saute these until they are nice and soft

Meanwhile, you will want to open up your can of beets and drain off the juices...
add these to another pot, cover with water and bring to a boil!
These are not quite done. What you are doing in this step is getting rid of the purple-reddish  
color, which will turn your noodles pink... not appetizing. Boil the beets for about 4-5 minutes, then drain.
 While you are doing all of this, go ahead and get another pot going! This time with water for your noodles... I use rice noodles, but you can use whatever you want.
This looks like quite a bit, and it is. But I am sharing!

Get out a blender and toss the beets, and half of the sauteed vegetables in. You can now add the can of carrots to the mix (I never use more than half of the can, but put in as much as you want!)
Those two red things are roasted peppers, but you can see the carrots and other things...


and blend away! This is about where I usually add rice vinegar, it adds a nice zesty flavor.
Now just add this beautiful sauce to the remaining sauteed vegetables, and stir them in!


Add seasonings of your desire, I use onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Oregano. I forgot to mention that I also added salt and pepper, but you knew that, right?
By now, your noodles should be done, so go ahead and serve them up, and top with this lovely red sauce! This is my bowl:
This is fine without meat, because of all of the vegetables. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment